Sunday, February 01, 2009

Matthew 7:13-14

1 Feb 09
I attended 3 more worship services today as part of my requirement to attend a total of nine services from across the denominational spectrum here at Ft. Jackson. We have to visit 9 total and then do a summary write-up after each one, indicating our thoughts and observances. So far it has been an eye-opening assignment for me. And today was no different. Doug and I went to a Lutheran service at 0800 and then a Catholic service at 0930, and finished the morning with a Mormon (LDS) service at 1100. We got lost and arrived late for the Catholic service, but better late than never. There are numerous Chapels around this large Army Post -- and some are inside the huge Soldier buildings, so it can be confusing finding them all.

It was somewhat of a disappointing morning from a religious perspective. I came away feeling as if I had not met with God in at least two of the services I attended today. The Lutheran service is more liturgical than I am used to, but at least the minister presented the Gospel message in his sermon. That was absent from both the Catholic and LDS services. In fact, the LDS service was just a "testimony" service, which means there was no planned message or sermon, just an open microphone for anyone who wanted to come forward and present his or her testimony. Many did, and they all affirmed Joseph Smith as the Prophet and how blessed they are to be a member of the "true" Church. It was weird and uncomfortable, to say the least.

I am seeing first-hand what Jesus meant when he told his followers about the wide and narrow gates and to not be led astray by false teachings. I think we can get too caught up in the "how" we worship, but we should never get caught up in the "what" part (that is, the "who" we worship). Does Jesus care how often we stand up or sit down, or read from the hymnal, or sing praise songs vs the classic hymns? I doubt it. But I know He cares about WHO we worship, and when we stray from Him as the only one worthy of our praise, prayer, and worship, then we miss the whole boat completely.

I'll let you chew on that one for awhile. But if you're reading this and don't know what I'm talking about, or feel confused or even intrigued... then email me back. Let's talk. Don't miss this boat. It really is that important!

No comments:

Post a Comment