Monday, March 15, 2010

Reflections on Going Back

15 March
We had a really great family day today. The kids came up with the idea of having a family Birthday party tonight since I will be gone soon and will miss all of our family birthdays this year. So my oldest daughter baked some brownies and the kids each made a few gifts (of course mom and dad had to purchase theirs), and after a few hours at an indoor rock climbing facility, we came home to have a nice dinner and dessert. Later we opened the presents from each other. My oldest daughter wanted a basketball (to begin practicing for the team this Fall) and my youngest needed a new bike helmet. They both got what that wanted. Mom and dad plan to go get massages together as their gifts to each other. Sounds good to me. I could use a massage these days. Just my luck I will get a the big Russian woman named Helga who will probably hurt me! (I'll let you know)

But on a more theological note.... last night I picked up John Piper's latest book called Don't Waste Your Life. He is a pastor up in Minnessota and a prolific author. I first read his book, Desiring God, many years ago and did not like him much--probably because I did not understand him! But he seems to make more sense to me these days. Not sure why that is, except maybe I'm able to "get it" now. Anyway, he writes in this book about not wasting your life and living it for God's purposes and glory instead. He makes the comment that we should live in such a way that we will never get to the end of our lives and look back and wish we had done it differently. I like that thought. It fits well with another author (and radio host) I enjoy listening to. Dr. Randy Carlson of Family Life Radio has a call-in show called Intentional Living, where he encourages and teaches people to be "intentional" in their lives, parenting, careers, decisions, etc... So both of these guys got me thinking today about how to better spend the second half of my deployment. I have been thinking all day about how do I go back and make the remainder of my time more meaningful than the first part? How do I be intentional about being a better Chaplain, better minister of the Gospel, better pastor to my Soldiers? What can I do more of or better so that when this is all over I will not look back with regrets and say, "I wasted an opportunity" or "why didn't I do it differently"? This is what runs through my head tonight as I was preparing for bed and wishing I could go to sleep. Easy solution: this is what I will take to the Lord in prayer.

By the way: my brother and his wife are about to have a baby. She was on bed rest recently and could use your prayers. Please pray for a save delivery for both mom and baby. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment