Saturday, May 22, 2010

No Fear

Sat. 22 May
A few years ago I was on an airplane coming back from a conference in Idaho. I was on a small jet, the kind with about 20 rows of seats and a center aisle with two seats on one side and only one seat on the other. Pretty small. Anyway, we encountered a storm and they diverted us to Provo, Utah for a landing to wait out the storm. At some point in the turbulence I put on my headphones and fell asleep. I was way in the back of the plane. After we landed I learned that someone way up front had been overly stressed during the flight and the turbulence and screamed out, "We're all going to die!" I missed it. Never heard a word of her terrified rambling since I was out like a light.

It reminded me of Jesus asleep in the back of the boat during the storm (Mark 4), and his buddies are scared for their lives and wake him to ask why He does not care that they are all going to die? But Jesus was not scared. Why should He be? (He is God, by the way) But He had already told them they were going to make it to the other side, and he already knew his final destination was a cross in Jerusalem (and not a sinking boat in Galilee). That's why he was angry with the disciples ("Why are you afraid?" and "Where is your faith?").

Anyway, I have been preaching this sermon lately which I titled, "No Fear," and based it on the Mark passage. My theme is that if Jesus is in your boat (a.k.a., your life), then you do not have to be afraid. It does not mean life will be a piece of cake or a rich and smooth ride, but it does mean He will never leave you nor forsake you. Those are stong words that I have come to live by over here. I also draw comfort from Psalm 91, especially the verses that say you will not fear the terror of night nor the arrow that flies by day, and, No harm will come near your tent, or, God will command His angles to lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot upon the rock. I am banking on these promises, and God is upholding His Word and keeping me safe and calm.

I do not fear the war going on around me. And yes, I was at the large base last Wednesday that was attacked by the Taliban. The alarms woke us up, and I was lying there hoping it would all go away so I could go back to sleep. No such luck. I heard an explosion and then machine gun fire -- not too far away. Shortly after that I heard the loudest gun I've ever heard, and I was quickly up and moving to the check-in point for safety and accountability. Turned out to be an attack helicopter overhear firing on the bad guys. But the weird thing is I never felt scared. It was more awed fascination than fear. (I've never seen an attack helicopter in real life doing what it was designed to do. It was intense). Ultimately, my hat is off to our security forces. They responded quickly and did a great job of protecting the base. They stopped the Taliban dead in their tracks. Literally.

So I am practicing what I preach, and encourage you to do the same. Even in this environment I am aware of the danger out there, but it will not come near my tent (God promised, remember?). Did you ever stop and think about how much of our worry/anxiety/fear is a "faith" issue? Jesus Himself told us "Do not worry!" (Matthew 6). And notice something about that verse: it's a command. So I am placing my life and trust in His hands. No better place to be, if you ask me.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog, while doing research for our blogs that are internal to the Dept of State. I am a Marine Veteran who served in Iraq and continually hold a heavy heart as I am fully aware that there are still many in the fight and away in farlands like Afghanistan (my old unit is there now).

    Your blog made me remember a day in Iraq that was particulary hard for me, probably one of the worst days of my life, and the very next day we were told that a Chaplain was coming to visit us if any of us were interested in speaking with him. I spoke with my Mother that night and she said that she had sensed something was wrong with me and that she had prayed so hard for me throughout the day.

    I walked up to the Chaplain after he spoke to us, and with tears in my eyes I hugged him and told him that I was so greatful to see him and told him very straight forward that my Mother had sent him to visit with me. Somehow, my days didn't seem so bad after that. I only got to see one Chaplain during my year deployment to Iraq in 2003, but I want you to know that you may not know it, but you help those service men and women more than you will ever know! It is times like these that we need to know God's got our backs.

    Thank you for your blog, your time and your service to our country.

    God bless,
    Cpl Allred
    USMCR

    ReplyDelete