Monday, May 03, 2010

Tea with the Poles

3 May
I had an interesting experience last night that I wanted to share. I am visiting a FOB operated by the Polish Army. They call that a "Battle Space Owner," and they can vary considerably with the international flavor here. If our troops are on one of their FOBs, then we have to obey their rules of engagement, which sometimes creates interesting situations. Anyway, there is a Polish Catholic Priest here and I went to meet him in the afternoon. Through in interpreter he invited me back for tea after his evening Mass. I was honored for the invitation and went back. I was the only American in the room for the evening tea, and the priest and a handful of other Polish Soldiers --including their Colonel --were sitting around smoking and talking about the day, and/or telling "war stories." For all I know they were talking about me, but since I cannot speak a lick of Polish, I have no idea! One of his Soldiers translated for him, since the priest does not speak any English. It was a weird experience, and a little intimidating, to say the least. But they were all very gracious and polite to me and I carried on a conversation with this Polish priest, while sharing tea, through his interpreter. I asked him if he had any advice for me, someone new to "military ministry"? He told me to (1) be myself and not try to imitate others, (2) to be available for Soldiers at all hours -- in other words, don't turn anyone away because it is after hours or in the middle of the night; (3) to keep in contact with your military commanders as well as your Soldier's families (if possible). And (4), he also said to keep in touch with the One who can "change water into wine." His comrades laughed at his joke, but I didn't think he was kidding. As a fellow Chaplain I understand the importance of keeping your faith strong and staying in prayer and in God's Word as much as possible. I think that should have been #1 on his list. Anyway, it was a nice conversation and I appreciated their hospitality. As you may know, the Polish lost most of their government leaders, President, and military Generals in a plane crash recently. Everyone on board was killed. The Soldiers here do not know what the future holds for them and you can sense the sadness and anxiety in their voices. So do me a favor, please pray for the Polish government, their people, and military. Pray for God's divine guidance and protection on their country and on their Soldiers serving far away from home! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment