Friday, May 07, 2010

A Rough Night


7 May
It was another rough night last night. A Soldier from another Unit (not mine) was killed around dinner time somewhere in the mountains near where I am visiting. I know his Chaplain and my friend called me and asked if I could go over to his Unit's office and spend some time with his team on this particular FOB. I was happy to go an minister to a group of about 10 Soldiers just sitting around, kind of in shock. I was able to talk about some of the emotions they may be feeling and got a few to open up and talk about their buddy who died. Some even laughed as they remembered fun times with their friend. These guys deal with the bombs, and it was a rocket that exploded that caused his death. It makes everyone stop and reflect on life; on how fragile it is. This kid was about 22 years old with his whole life ahead of him and now he's gone. There were some tears shed, and then I read from Psalm 91 as well as Psalm 23. I asked if I could pray for the team gathered there last night, and everyone bowed their head and closed their eyes. I noticed people coming out of offices to join in the group prayer (who had not been involved in the discussion up to that point!) It was a pretty powerful moment and I know God was there in that room with us. In times of utter fear and panic and, in this case, sorrow, people seem to know they need God. And to think, I was frustrated because we could not catch a flight back to our home base yesterday morning. Yet God had something different in mind for me. I believe God had me stay here for a reason... to minister to those Soldiers in their time of need. It is a reminder to me that when I ask God to use me, He does!

There is a family back home who received the worst news imaginable last night and must be grieving terribly today. Please lift up this family specifically, as well as a prayer for protection for all of our troops in harm's way. I would appreciate that. Thank you.

1 comment: