Thursday, October 08, 2009

Memorial Service


8 Oct 09

It has been a hard few days recently, based largely on the specific training I have received this week. They are training the Unit Ministry Team (UMT) to be proficient on topics such as suicidal awareness and counseling, traumatic event management and debriefing, caring for the wounded and dying, and memorial services. Needless to say, it has been a heavy week.
Part of the training included attending an actual memorial ceremony for three Soldiers killed in action in AFG on Sept. 24, 2009. My assistant and I sat in the back and observed, and it was pretty powerful. You could not help but to be moved by the whole experience. I was in tears and I did not even know these Soldiers. It got me thinking just how precious life really is, and that it can be taken from you/us in a heartbeat. God has called me to do something very emotionally difficult, and I can only hope I minister well to my Soldiers if ever we have to go through this. I know that I'll have to lead a mock ceremon as part of my training, but I hope I never have to do the real thing with these guys.
(I found this picture on-line, and it is a good representation of the actual stand they create for a fallen Soldier with boots, helmet, weapon and dog-tags displayed in tribute. Once you hear the last role call followed by a 21-gun salute and then TAPS being played, it makes your skin crawl). Please continue praying for our Soldiers in harms way.

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed heart-wrenching. I'm still studying Romans and today it lead me to Ps 31:9 - Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also. -ESV

    Hang tight!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete