Monday, April 19, 2010

Oasis in the Desert




19 April
I am visiting one of our teams at a very remote location for a few days. You can be stuck where ever you go and at the mercy of the helicopters coming in and out. At some places there are not a whole lot of birds arriving, so you may be there a few days. That is the case here. It's Ok though, because this place is a nice oasis in the desert. There is a small river that runs through the entire camp, and it drops off a 5-ft ledge and makes beautiful waterfall at one point. The entire area near the river is covered with shade trees due to the abundance of water nearby. I'll post pictures soon. But it is a beautiful spot to sit and relax. I read my Bible there this morning and had a quiet time. God sent me a lttle frog to be my company. He flopped down the waterfall and tried to hide in the water from me, but I saw him anyway. It was sort of a reminder of life in the midst of a desert (let alone a warzone). It also reminded me of Elijah staying by the brook and being fed by the birds until the water dried up. Maybe my frog buddy will be there tomorrow, too. We'll see.

One of the interesting things that is happening to me -- or to my faith, rather -- is the repeated exerience of seeing God answer my prayers: for myself, my family, and my Unit. I have been praying for my Soldiers and their safety and asking God to cover them with the promises of psalm 91. And it's working. I want to make sure the world knows there is a Living God who answers prayers. I am keeping a record of incidents where our soldiers could have been injured or worse, but were not. In fact, we had another incident last week from an explosion, and our guy walked away without a scratch. It's unbelievable and only due to the grace and providence of God. Thank you, Lord, for your faithfulness to your Word!

1 comment:

  1. To have a frog just show up, I think that's kind a cool!

    God seems to bring us smiles in the strangest ways. Hope you enjoy your short stay at the Oasis.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete