Friday, April 02, 2010

Battle Ready


2 April
Good Friday. It has been a very good day. My assistant and I are out traveling and visiting our Soldiers at a few outlying FOBs (forward operating bases). It was a relaxing day, filled with sleep, reading, a devotional/quiet time, and exercise (to name a few things). The weather where we are at is wonderful and this place has green vegitation and trees. It's pretty nice. We went for a walk and saw some kids flying kites and others trying to start a soccer game. They came running up to the fence and asked us (three of us in our party) if we would come over the fence and play soccer with them? Not a chance, kid! But thanks for asking. So we got our cameras out and they said, "$50 bucks for a picture!" Again, not a chance, kid. What a bunch of street-smart gangsters! So I took a few pictures for free!

Anyway, I wanted to tell you about something I read this afternoon. A few months ago my wife sent me a book called, "Battle Ready: Prepare to be Used by God," by Steve Farrar. (He's the same author who wrote "Point Man" which is a book I highly recommend to any married man). I started "Battle Ready" awhile back, but put it down for one reason or another. I just could not get into it back then. So I decided to bring it along on this trip for pleasure reading during down time. At the beginning of chapter 2 he gives a quote from the famous British (Baptist) preacher, C.H. Spurgeon, who said, "God gets his best Soldiers out of the highlands of affliction." Boy did that speak to me! Steve Farrar goes on to say, "Every man who desires to be used by God will face giants. Do you desire to be used by God? It's what gives meaning to a man's life." Then, later in the same chapter he wrote: "The man who is used by God will not be free from pain and suffering--not by a long shot. In fact, some of that pain and suffering will be of his own making. And when you are facing a giant that is of your own making, well, that is the bitterest fight you will ever wage" (p.38). Amen to that.

Wow! He is speaking my language, and this book seems to have been written for me. I find it interesting that I did not read those words back before Christmas when I first got the book in the mail. Maybe I was not ready for that message then? But I am now and God has me reading it when I need it most. As I have said earlier in this series of blogs, God is speaking to me through books this year, and His message is coming in loud and clear. I needed to read those words and work through the implication of what Steve Farrar is writing. I want to be used by God, and as such I need to be aware of--and ready for--the giants to come and the fight to be nasty. Yes, it did not help that I caused some of my own pain and suffering, but God is using it all to make me "battle ready." Thank you, Lord. And a thank you to my wife for sending the book to me way back when. God knew I would benefit from it when the time was right. I think that time is now. Thanks honey! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment