Friday, April 09, 2010

What a Difference a Week Makes


Sat. April 10
Greetings all. I am enjoying a warm Spring day and thinking back on the events of the last few weeks. I gave the devotional to the other Chaplains during our weekly luncheon this past Wednesday, and I spoke on trials and suffering. I used some material from Steve Farrar's book, "Battle Ready," and received several very positive comments. The highest ranking Chaplain in the area was present, too. He works personally with General McCristal, the 3 star General over everything here. So I did what they always say in public speaking classes: imagine him in his underwear! (No, I am kidding). I acted like he was just another one of my colleagues. That was easy.

Anyway, things are going much better. God is good and time seems to heal all wounds. Or at least helps you move past the hurt. I am preaching tomorrow on several passages from Matthew. I want to examine the life and times of Peter, and try to show that maybe we all need to be a little bit more like Peter -- at least in what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. Peter had the guts to want to be like his rabbi, and be with his rabbi, and do what his rabbi did (such as walking on water). Sure, he is remembered for sinking, but at least he tried! What did the other 11 guys do? Nothing. So maybe we need to remember Peter's courage and desire to be a true disciple. Don't forget that Christ loved him and forgave him and rewarded him for this, so may we all seek to be a little bit more like Peter.
I am attaching a new picture from my bedroom wall. I posted a few more recent pictures from family back home. My kids colored Easter eggs and one of them has a Michigan "M" on it (blue and gold, or course), and the other says, "I love my daddy." Thanks girls. I love you, too. Also, if you look closely, you can see my mom going down a zip line while on vacation recently. Way to go, Mom! It looks like fun. Did I mention my mom's age? No, maybe I had better not!

I also want to take a moment to tell my wife I love her. She will be celebrating a birthday soon -- without me. In fact, I will miss all the family birthdays this year. That hurts. I miss you dearly and wish I could be there with you to celebrate your special day. But God had other plans, so please save a little cake for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment