Thursday, June 10, 2010

Encouraging Words







10 June
It has been a pretty quiet week so far. My assistant and I are not traveling again for awhile, and I'm "on-call" for three other Chaplains this week. So it's a good thing that all is quiet on the western front, so to speak. An interesting thing happened to me recently: I had a civilian contractor come up to me while at lunch and state he felt God leading him to tell me that I had made a difference in his life over here. He had been a regular attender at one of the chapel services that I support (and preach at), and now was getting ready to go home. So he just came up to me out of the blue and gave me a very nice compliment and an encouraging boost for the day. Then today I received a letter in the mail (snail mail) from a friend back home that used to go to my church. She stated she was thinking of me because she found an old sermon handout from one of my very first sermons back in June of 2005, where I preached on the Ark of the Covenant. She told me she still remembers that sermon and the illustration I used that morning, and did not want me to think that what I do or say is not remembered by others. I was really touched by her kind words. It was pretty cool. I am not sure why God is giving me these separate "pick-me-ups" recently, but I won't complain. Wasn't it Mark Twain who said he could live off of one compliment for three weeks? (or something like that). Me too!
The pictures: (1) Our company HQ's door. Many reminders of home. (2) Myself and my company commander and the logo she designedd and painted on her office door. It represents our command and the many different teams we work with and under. (3) A shot of the pasture land right ourside the fence. I took this picture while driving to church last weekend. The local shepherds can graze right up to the wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment