Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sick


Sun 13 June
Warning: the following subject matter may not be suitable for younger audiences and may even make my wife embarrassed. (Sorry honey). I am sitting on my bed typing this blog, having spent most of the last two days sick with food poisoning or a stomach flu. This was actually one of my worst fears come true over here: being so sick that I needed to run to the filthy porta-john and not know whether to sit on it or throw my head in it! (The stench alone is enough to make you vomit sometimes!) It was not a fun two days, let me tell you. I think I lost 4 lbs. the hard way! It makes you realize how much you miss home because there is nothing worse than being sick away from home. When you feel that bad all you want are the comforts of home: your own bed and bathroom, maybe a glass of ice water and a cold washcloth for your forehead. Maybe even your mommy (or wife) to take care of you. Nope. Ain't got none of that over here. (Although one of the guys in my B-hut did get me some food and gatorade. He was good to me).

I have heard stories of a number of Soldiers who have also been sick at one time of another, so I guess it's not too uncommon to get something bad from the DFAC food. Some of our guys up in the hills recently had to get antibiotics and "deworming" medicing after eating with some local nationals in a village. They were sick as dogs for a week or more until they could get to a medic. That must have been awful. Needless to say the dining conditions were not very sanitary. And knowing what we know about how the locals wash their hands and bodies, it explains a lot! At least mine was not that bad. Maybe a 24-hr bug, and now I'm recovering. I feel beat up and drained of energy; you know that feeling in your stomach muscles after you've been vomiting? Well, at least it's over for now. I hope to not go through that again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment