Friday, February 12, 2010

Early Valentine's Day


12 Feb
[The picture is a bumper sticker I saw recently]. It has been a long, hard week. As you know, it all stared with the Latrine mugging (see previous blogs). I am doing pretty well since then, but they had me come back to the Aid station for a follow up concussion test (which I passed). They gave me muscle relaxers for my neck pain, but I have not used them yet. I'm certainly more careful leaving latrines now, let me tell you. Perhaps I need to talk to the Special Operations guys about techniques to sneak up on my adversary in the dark. Maybe that will help!

There is quite a bit going on in my battalion these days, but I can't really go into it here. We're into the middle phase of this deployment and they say this is when problems start to intensify with Soldiers. It get's mundane here at times, and some Soldiers do dumb things to pass the time away. Marriage problems have also been a constant with a bunch of our troops since the first few weeks of this trip, and stresses back home seem to get magnified over here. It's really sad to see and hear some of the stories of bad decisions and unfaithfulness that goes on when a Soldier leaves for a deployment. Now of course that does not apply to everyone. We also have some great people with us here, men and women who make this a better experience and that I'm proud to serve with.

Well, it's Valentine's Day weekend. My sweet wife sent me a care package that arrived Friday. Perfect timing. It was filled with cool stuff, including lots of candy, cards from her and the girls, the "Love Dare" book, and Michael Jackson's last movie DVD called, This Is It. I felt loved! Having her love and support back hope is what gives me the strength to keep going. I am blessed to have her in my life, as she is the best gift God ever gave me. (I love you, honey. Happy early Valentine's Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment