Sunday, February 28, 2010

Going Back

28 Feb
Today has been kind of a crummy day. First of all, it would have been my parent's anniversary today. Thankfully, my mom is spending the day with her sisters and having a good time. This helps keep away the pain, for now. Then my family went to church, but it felt all wrong. I felt like a stranger there. Like it's no longer my church -- which is a product of being gone so much over the last 2 years. I gave up my teaching and ministry there long ago in preparation for being gone, and now it feels too weird. It's kind of like moving away and then going back to the old neighborhood a few years later. Everything is familiar, but it's changed. And that's why they say you can't ever really go back: it's never going to be like it once was. It's sad.

Finally, I got an email from my CH Asst back overseas and she informed me that I may not get to stay home as long as I was initially informed (and hoping). It's complicated, but my scheduled leave was not for another ten days. The question becomes, does emergency leave count as your R&R leave? If not, do I get to stay home longer or will I go back and then still get my scheduled R&R --in which case I'd have to fly all the way home again. Why not just stay home??!! (Trust me, coming home for a funeral is no R&R, as someone back there must be trying to argue that it is).

I found myself angry and hurt and having a little pitty-party today. Oh yeah, and the USA hockey team lost in overtime in the Gold medal game to Canada this afternoon. I was bummed. And it rained here today as well. I can only hope tomorrow is better. So could use your prayers. (1), for my attitude, and (2) so that maybe I'll get to stay home a little bit longer. (ps: I know God's in control, but it does not hurt to ask). Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment