Sunday, February 07, 2010

Super Bowl Monday


8 Feb
It's been raining and now snowing here for the last 4 days. It turns this place into an even worse mess than it already is. Think of a construction site in the rain. It's awful. I usually love seeing snow come down and blanket the ground. But for some reason I am not enjoying it here (at least not yet). The best thing about bad weather, though, is it makes things even more difficult for the bad guys. They tend to stay in doors and create less havoc on our troops when it's not nice outside. So I have to be thankful for the accommodations I do have -- which are better than what some have -- and for peace and safety for our guys.

And yes, it is Super Bowl Monday for us oversees, since we're a half-day ahead of you. So I got up at 4:00 am to watch the game live and was excited with the results (we lost satellite connection for awhile there around half time, but it came back on soon after). We also did not get to enjoy the fun commercials like every one else. They show sporting events on Armed Forces Network (AFN) over here, and their commercials are all public service announcements such as don't drink and drive, obey the speed limits in a foreign country, report theft of government property, etc. I was bummed. But we did see a nice commercial by the President recognizing the military across the world watching the game. I felt like he was speaking to me. That was cool.

However, the morning did not start off too well. The best way I can describe it is this: I got mugged in the dark by the latrine. And I don't mean in the vicinity of the latrine, I mean literally that the port-a-john did it. It attacked me! I hate that thing. (See picture of my assailant). On my way back out of the latrine I stepped down and missed the ledge and stumbled to the ground, in the snow, in the dark, at 4 am. What a dork! I layed there stunned and woozy, nursing my left wrist and a cut nose (and a bruised ego). It was a vicious attack, let me tell you. I think I deserve a Purple Heart for my war wounds. (In which case I'll have to come up with a better story than tripping out of the latrine in the dark)!

No comments:

Post a Comment