Sunday, August 15, 2010

We're Outta Here!















Sun 15 Aug




It has been a long, hot, final week. There were three awards ceremonies this past week, and one big Transfer of Authority (TOA) ceremony. I was scheduled to give the opening prayer (invocation), and we rehearsed it maybe five times all the way through (to make sure everyone knew their part). But when the time came for the actual real-deal ceremony (the one where the General and several Colonels were in attendance), well, that's when the announcer completely forgot the opening prayer. She completely skipped over me. I was standing in my spot next to the podium ready to go, but they skipped right past me. So I stood there for a few uncomfortable minutes before sitting down. I was pretty bummed and disappointed with it all. It seemed to be a fitting ending to some of the other stuff that has occured this year with this battalion. So I thanked God for bringing us to the end and pray for safe travels home.
Two of the pictures are of the TOA Ceremony itself. You can see the Soldiers standing in formation, as well as my Battalion Commander and Sergeant Major rolling up the flag of our ballation. There is a symbolic moment where our "colors" are put away, and the new Unit's flag (or colors) is unfurled. They now have authority and we are done! Oh and the best part... there was a neat cake after the ceremony with our "Dark Knights" logo on it. (That is the top picture).

I am also attaching a few pictures of the tent I lived in for over a week. We had a crazy experience last Thursday when a rain storm flooded our area. Water started pouring in through the seams in the top of the tent, and it began pouring down on our bunks and gear. There were over 150 guys living in this small space and it was mass chaos trying to move bunk beds out of the way and get clothing and gear up off the wet floor. I was fortunate that my bed was not near an open seam. So I took these pictures during the mess. I told a few people afterwards that it was such a miserable experience that it was almost comical. I guess that was par for the course for those of us living out there in the Warrior RSOI area (a.k.a., District 9). I am so glad to be done with it.
And that brings me to the end of this blog. It will be the last one I do from Afghanistan. The next time I blog, it will be either from a stop along the way home, or from the good 'ol USA. I have less than 2 weeks before I will be officially done with this deployment and home with my family. I can't wait! So I'll talk to you again soon but please pray for our safety as we travel home. I would appreciate it. Thanks for following along this year. i appreciate that.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo!!!! No more "embrace the suck" My heart leaps for joy...probably not as much as yours does, but will be glad when you're home. I'll continue though to pray for others returning and those going... Soon isn't soon enough for this battle to be over with.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete