Monday, December 21, 2009

Commotion in the DFAC


Tues 22 Dec 09
A funny thing happened in the dining facility (DFAC) last night. But before I can tell you the story, I need to give you some background info about hair styles in the military. As you know, length of hair is regulated in the Army (as well as the other branches of service). Men are not allowed to wear their hair longer than a certian length, except for specific purposes (i.e., some guys can wear a beard, etc). The rules also apply to the women, too. For example, the regulations specify that a woman cannot cut her hair so short so as to be mistaken for a man! No lie. She cannot shave her head bald, or have a crew cut or flat top or high and tight, etc... If a women lets her hair grow, it must be no longer than down to her neck line (or something like that), or if she lets it grow beyond that she must be able to wear it up in a bun during working hours. Ok, got all that???

Well, I said all that to say this.... last night at dinner I was trying to find a seat in the chow hall (did you catch the Army lingo?) and noticed a woman in front of me with long, flowing blonde hair. She was totally out of regulation! And my first thought was, "Hey, why does she get to wear her hair like that? She's donna get in trouble...!" But then I noticed all the men turning their heads to stare at her, and then I saw it. Printed across her jacket, were the letters: C-O-W-B-O-Y-S. And then I knew who she was.

The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are here for a USO visit (or at least some of them are). And you should have seen all the commotion these ladies caused in the DFAC during dinner. There were four of the cheerleaders sitting in various spots around the room (they split up and sat with Soldiers), and guys were giving themselves neck cramps trying to find them and/or get pictures with them. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was here last week, and nobody cared. But these women show up and the place goes nuts. There is almost as must commotion here today as when the Fox NFL show was in town a month or so ago!

But, just for the record, I didn't see anything. Nooooo sir, I closed my eyes and ate alone and tried to memorize Scripture during dinner! Yeah, that's the ticket. That's what I did. I barely noticed they were in the room. (The woman I saw was the one on the right in the poster above -- at least that's what someone told me!) That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

1 comment: