Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year 2010




Jan 31, 2009

It's early in the evening for me, and I'm putting away gear and clothing from a recent trip. I have been gone for the last few days visiting a FOB near the Pakistan border (kind of freaky). Our Soldiers are pretty busy there, as one can imagine. It was a nice place, just for the record, but I'm always glad to get back to my own little "hooch" at my base. I will try to upload a few pictures from this trip, including a mountain view from the airplane.

I understand there will be a New Year's Eve gathering tonight, but I'm gonna lay low and stay indoors. I may watch a movie in my room on my computer and go to bed early. Boy, just saying that makes me feel old 'cause that's what old people do!!! I think I heard that some battalions have lifted the general order prohibiting alcohol for this one night. Some companies will allow their Soldiers one beer tonight to celebrate. You should see how excited some of these guys are for that one beer! It's crazy. The DFAC will serve non-alcoholic champagne tomorrow, and that's good enough for me. I will hit the New Year before most of you reading this, so I will lift a toast to you sometime tomorrow (around my lunch-time).

Well, here we are... at the end of 2009. Truthfully, I'm glad. It has been a hard year, as many of you know. If you've been following this blog for awhile you will understand. We've lost several loved one this past year and I was gone a lot. And tough circumstances change you. But I believe now that we have the choice if they change us for the better or worse and I'm working on the better. As I look ahead I see possibilities and change. God is changing me through all of this, and I like what He's doing. Sometimes God uses difficult experiences to strip away everything that keeps you from Him. Pruning is painful, but healthy, and I sort of feel like that's what He's doing in my life. Yes, life will be different when I get home, there is no doubt of that. But just exactly what it will look like is anyone's guess at this point. Except the Lord. I know He has my/our future in His hands and that's good enough for me.

So thank you to everyone who supported us over the last year through your prayers or help. I really appreciate it and thank God for you all. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers over the next year, too, will ya? Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment