Sunday, December 13, 2009

New Week, New Travels




Dec 14, 09
I've noticed recently the date I type in does not match the date Blogger has officially listed. They seem to be a day behind. Well anyway, it's Monday morning, and we just returned from another trip to check on our Soldiers who are out and about. It's getting cold here (and so I'm wearing the black ski-mask my mom knit for me!), and the mountains are spectacular covered in white. We went to a FOB (forward operating base) south of my home base and enjoyed some local hospitality. We ate at a local restaurant (located on the FOB) and went shopping at some of the stores owned by local nationals. Kind of like going to the Bizaar all over again, but somewhat better (although not much). Most of the stuff you can buy is junk, including pirated movies. Thet's big over here. Someone sits in the back of a theater in China or Russia with a video camera and films a brand new movie, and then they copy it over and over again and sell it for $2 over here. Many service men and women buy that junk all the time -- but it's illegal to ship it home. So why bother? But it's big business to the militray on deployment.

I tried to get a few pictures from the helicopter ride looking down on the landscape passing by. I'll try to upload a shot of a village with the square "compound" looking buildings. They are all over the country-side. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's kind of like our backyard block walls and fences. In that regards, we're all kind of similar, no matter where you live. We build walls around our stuff to protect it, our families, and keep others out.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well back home, as I miss you all. Things here are good. You kind of get into a routine on deployment. They call it Groundhog Day , after the movie with Bill Murray (because every day starts to feel like the last and the next). Rent the movie sometime, it's funny.

Did I mention that my wife sent me 12 presents to be opened on the 12 days leading up to Christmas? The very first one I opened was a wonderful framed picture of her and the girls that they had done professionally at our church. I love it. So I put it on my shelf and look at them every day. Thanks honey. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment