Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mail Call

Wed. night,
Boy is it nice to get mail from home! My family sent me a care package with goodies and cards and letters and candy (which they expect me to share). It was a great feeling to get back to my room and open the package. To my family I say, "Thank you" and "I love you." I have your cards and letters already posted up by my bed (see the picture). The wall is kind of old and beat up, so it is nice to add some color and family to my life here!

I led Bible study tonight in the chapel and ended with showing a "NOOMA" video. Rob Bell, the teaching pastor in this video series, talks about what it really means to be a disciple of Jesus and to know that Jesus has faith in you and I that we can do it (that we can be like him). It's a powerful concept. And it struck me that even though we did not have a strong turn-out for the Bible study tonight, it's OK. Jesus only had 12 guys and they changed the course of human history! So I can start small and be faithful with a few Soldiers, and God will honor that and one-day trust me with greater things (see Luke 16:10). It works that way for all of us, by the way. It is tempting to dream big, but if I cannot be trusted with the little things in life (such as managing money, or relationships, or my job, or a smaller ministry), then there's no way God will give me the bigger things to manage. It is an important lesson to learn.
Gotta run. The alarm at 0500 (a.k.a. 5:00 am) comes fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment