Thursday, September 10, 2009

My First Church








10 Sept 09

The last few days have been sunnier and warmer than the first few, and the spirits around here seem to be a little higher, too. The Soldiers are getting into a groove now, which is starting to include more weapons training. We've been issued even more gear, which makes everyone's load that much heavier to lug around. But I suppose that's OK, since there is an old saying that you'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

I am attaching a few pictures of the old WWII Chapel that I have been assigned to here in the barracks. I am now the OIC of the chapel, which means "Office in Charge." Sounds official, huh? There are approx. 500 military personnel in various companies in this little area right now, and I'm the only Chaplain in sight. Which means servicemen and women from the AF and NAVY as well as the ARMY will be invited to my chapel services while I'm here. I may be called on to do counseling for anyone who needs it, too, which could be daunting, but we'll see. They tell me a Unit of 1500 is returning from the "sandbox" by the end of the month and they will have a few Chaplains with them to assist in the needs here. I look forward to meeting those Chaplains when they get here.

Well, if you can see it from the picture, that is Mt. Rainier in the background. The old chapel faces it, which is kind of cool. The inside is the old wooden style pews, with a balcony. My Chaplain Asstsiant and I are assigned to keep it clean and accessible for any who want to use it (which often includes large group meetings for incoming and out-going groups). Someday I will look back and fondly remember this place as my first church and first congregation!

1 comment: