Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mental Health Day


23 Sept. 2009

I had some time this morning away from the training schedule to relax and do some laundry, read my Bible, and do a few things on the computer. It has been a nice day so far... but that could change quickly! There is so much going on here with many moving pieces and Soldiers going off to training in many different directions. It is a logistical nightmare! I cannot take pictures or tell you about most of what we're doing now, because it would compromise our mission. The Soldiers are practicing their skills and using equipment that they will continue to use during deployment. It has become very serious, which is a good thing. But the stress has begun to take a toll on many of our troops. We've had people sent home for various reasons, including medical and mental health as well. I can understand because the stress is mounting and the time away from family and friends is daunting.

I'm choosing a favorite picture that we took the day I left. I look at it daily to get me through and I remember why I am here and what I am fighting for. Please keep me in your prayers, as this is a battle that needs prayer coverage, too (Eph 6:10). I have been asked how I continue to hold up when so many are coming to me with their problems. I'm not sure, except I know where my strength and help comes from (sounds like a Casting Crowns song, doesn't it? See Psalms 121:1-2). My wife and daughter got to go to their concert last week with some friends. I was so jealous, but glad they went. I want them to grow stronger in their faith while I am gone, too.
Soldiers who have been through this before say it changes you. If that's the case, then I am praying that God uses it to change me for the better. That I grow closer to him, more confident, and more experience in ministry. That's my prayer. Talk to you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you and with you. Trusting God to use it all for the good. Miss you at work. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your comments bring to mind the sermon our pastor shared today....When Calamity Strikes...Jehoshaphat's Prayer in 2 Chronicles 20: 1-30.

    Another comment our new Senior Pastor Steve Farnworth reminded us is in our culture self-reliance is a virtue, but in God's Kingdom self-reliance is a sin.

    I don't know if any of this helps...hope so and hope it might encourage and calm those that you are helping.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete