Friday, July 02, 2010

Chess and other Recent Pictures









2 July

Yeah, July is here!! I am sitting in the USO here on my base, having just connected to their free WiFi network. The network administrators here have recently upgraded their filters and now it's almost impossible to get to the internet from your work station. Everything (it seems) is blocked. For example, I cannot even get to http://www.strongbonds.org/, which is a website for Chaplains on single and marriage retreat seminars available to all soldiers after returning from deployments. So I came over here and found out I can work for free from here. I wish I had known this 9 months ago!!
The pictures: A momma bird sitting in her nest near my B-hut "hooch", the dining facility (DFAC) getting ready fot the 4th of July, and two shots of a chess board I recently saw at one of the FOBs I visited. A soldier made this set from hand and was selling it. I did not inquire as to the price, but I thought his creation was pretty impressive. Note that it's a chess game of the "good guys" vs. the "bad guys."
And finally, a special thank you to a few friends from my church who helped set up a basketball hoop for my oldest daughter on her birthday. Thanks for helping make her day special guys. I appreciate it and thank God for good friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment