Monday, July 05, 2010

M.A.S.H. (part 2)

5 July
If you followed my blog back in May of this year, you might remember that I had the privilege of praying for (and traveling with) a soldier critically wounded from a blast and who needed to take a medivac helicopter back to a larger base. Well, I am back visiting that same FOB and the same medical personnel at this surgical hospital. It's very much like MASH the TV show (and my buddy Father Mulcahey-- sp?), except that it's not mobile, as in "Mobile Army Surgical Hospital"). These guys are awesome and save lives every day. It's the busiest forward medical facility in the country, and it's been kind of an honor to work with them. Which I did again today. They called me this afternoon to let me know wounded soldiers were coming in. One young man took shrapnel to his lower legs and needed surgery here before being flown out. I was allowed to stand at the head of his bed and spend time with him -- talking, praying, keeping him occupied -- while the medical crew worked on his legs. He was Catholic but didn't care at all what my denominational preference is... just that I was there. It was a privilege.

I also noticed something interesting last night when the Polish priest led evening Mass at this FOB. The chapel was literally destroyed by a rocket months ago (with no one inside), and since they have not rebuilt it, he holds Mass outside to the Polish soldiers at this location. I noticed that at one point that a Polish soldier played the guitar and sang... in English. He was singing a Top 40s tune I knew (but cannot recall the name) and playing very beautifully on the guitar, but I thought it was interesting that his choice of song was not a religious song and it was in English and not Polish. Maybe translating it to Polish would lose all the rhythm of the words and music, I'm not sure. I guess it doesn't really matter since over here you worship where you can, when you can, and with what you got. I remember leading a field service to about 7 soldiers awhile ago and we got rained on! Oh well. You do the best you can and leave the results up to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment