Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Reading Material

7 July
This year has given me the opportunity to read quite a bit, and this current trip is no exception. I recently started "Jesus Among Other Gods" by Ravi Zacharias, and have been plodding my way through it. He's very deep and philosophical, and so it's no easy pleasure read. Ravi was born in India in a Hindu society, but became a Christian later in life. He is now a brilliant and outspoken Christian author and lecturer. He goes all over the world teaching and preaching about Christ and debating athiests in liberal and secular universities as well. His work is awesome and I am enjoying his arguments for Christianity, especially against Islam and Hunduism, which he knows well. The message of Christ's love and truthfulness is very much needed over here.

The second book I just picked up yesterday is called "Wisdom of Our Fathers," by Tim Russert. This is the follow up book to his earlier "Big Russ and Me," a book he wrote about his dad. You may rememebr Tim Russert as the political analyst on NBC who died suddenly of a heart attack about 3 years ago. Anyway, this 2nd book is a collection of stories people wrote to him about their own dads after reading his 1st book. The stories are touching and personal and meaningful and have me thinking about my own dad as well as my affect on my children. If nothing else, his book reaffirms the absolute importance of a dad in the lives of his children--sometimes in ways he never knew about or expected. I can't wait to get home and love on my kids! So there I was reading this book in the dining hall last night with tears running down my face, hoping no one was looking! What a sight I must have been.

"God, thank you for my dad, and help me to be a little more like him!" Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment