Friday, July 09, 2010

Waiting on the Lord

9 July
I was watching the movie, "Fireproof", the other night and was struck by a song on waiting on the Lord that play about 3/4 of the way through the movie. If you have not seen the movie, by the way, I would highly recommend it. But there is this song playing while the main character, Caleb, is trying to be a good husband and keep going with the "Love Dare" book even though he is not seeing any results. The words of the song really hit me:

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on you Lord, and I am hopeful.
I'm waiting on you Lord, though it is painful.
But patiently... I will wait.

I will move ahead, bold and confident,
Taking every step in obedience...
While I'm waiting!

I will serve you... while I'm waiting;
I will worship... while I'm waiting.
I will not faint, I'll be running the race,
Even while I wait.

I will serve you while I'm waiting;
I will worship while I'm waiting!

What a great song, and I know why it means so much to me now. I have been praying for God's wisdom and guidance on new job opportunities when I return from this deployment (maybe something in the ministry or chaplain-related). But He has been silent on the subject so far. So I wait.

Psalms 37:7 and 46:10 are two of my favorite and they speak directly to waiting on the Lord. But this song also hits the important point that we are still to serve Him and to work diligently while we wait. Even if we're uncomfortable and it's painful, we still need to trust Him and continue serving Him where in our current circumstances (i.e., bloom where you are planted), and wait patiently for God. Another great passage, Jeremiah 29:11-13, tells us that the Lord has a plan for our lives, and it's a good one. So we have to trust in His promises, timing, and provision. Even if it means waiting for awhile! Rather than complaining about my circumstances and my desire for a change, I need to keep praying and continue serving and worshiping Him while I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment