Friday, January 08, 2010

9 Jan
Nothing much new to report, except that I am more than half-way done with my new book, The Shack. It is interesting. The main character has an experience with God as the Trinity that will make your mind spin a little bit to try to process it all. It reminds me of Theology class somewhat because it goes into pretty deep stuff like the nature of love between the three persons of the Trinity (God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit). It's been a pretty good read so far. I'm curious to see how it all comes together and wraps up. And yes, I would recommend it for anyone who wants to go deeper into their understanding of God -- because it will challenge your assumptions and understanding of God. Whether you agree with it or not is a different story! Also, if you've been through one of those experiences in life where you felt God abandoned you, or does not love you, then I recommend you read it as well.

I work with a bunch of Soldiers from Texas who were very disappointed with the college football National Championship game yesterday. (Univ. of Texas lost to Alabama). It was shown live here on Friday morning, so a bunch of us got up early and watched it, including our battalion commander. It was fun to not have any interest in the outcome (since my Michigan team was long since out of it), and to see just how biased fanatic fans can become when their team is losing. Every penalty against Texas drew various boos and hisses and comments that I cannot repeat here. Several people even apologized to the Chaplain for their outbursts! Oh well, it made for a good diversion and some early morning fun. Perhaps my Wolverines will be in the title game next year! (There's always hoping in next year!)

It has been over a year since I started this blog when I went off to the Chaplain school last January. You might remember Doug, my "battle buddy" during that program. He's getting ready to come over here, too, for a lengthy deployment. He won't be stationed where I'm at, but I'll get to see him on his way through here and on on occassional trips. So please lift him up in prayers, as well as his family, because the leaving part is hard. I know what he's going through!

Ok, well, thanks for hanging in there with me and for all the encouragement and prayers from back home. I/we need it and appreciate it. Thanks again.

1 comment:

  1. So, I guess you don't want the guys know that Dad was cheering for Alabama !??

    Later,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete