Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Ministry Opportunities




Fri. 15 Jan 2010,
It has been a fast week. Lots of stuff going on here for me, as it seems the pace suddenly picked up. I added a few ministry opportunities this week, including a worship service for my specific unit on Saturday nights. It starts tomorrow. I will try to do this weekly, but obviously there will be times when I'm traveling and unable to do it here -- in which case I will probably offer a service or something similar to the Soldiers I'm visiting. Either way, it will keep me busy.

I also made a move to promote and possibly show the two movies from Sherwood Baptist Church: Facing the Giants (the football movie) and Fireproof (about marriage). I purchased the site license agreements for both movies before leaving home for this very reason: so I could show the movies to Soldiers over here. We may advertise and show them at the main Chapel for anyone and everyone to attend. I want to show the football movie near the SuperBowl and the marriage movie near Valentine's Day. However, my Brigade Chaplain (i.e., boss) is hinting that she'd like me to do some religious education along with the Fireproof movie. In other words, I may be giving a marriage seminar over here in a few weeks! I'm excited for the opportunity, but a little overwhelmed, too. I'll keep you posted.

I am attaching a picture of the sign posted outside my office door. Just for kicks.

This morning I saw something that saddened me. We allow many local national men to come on base and work here. They have to pass a screening and security clearance and then carry an ID card at all times. Most are good guys just trying to support their families. Some are not so good, however. Every now and then the MPs have to remove someone from the base who snuck on or sole something, etc... Anyway, we allow them to utilize the bathrooms and shower facilities when they are here. And this morning I saw a gentleman come into the shower stall and take a shower. I was finishing up, so I know he was in there and the water was running. However, he did not have a towel nor did he have any soap or shampoo. Nothing. He just got wet. Then he got out as I was brushing my teeth and he put his old clothes back on -- while he was still wet. His shirt and pants acted as his towel. I felt bad for him because it was in the low 20s outside and bitter cold. I wanted to offer him my towel and soap -- but that thought lasted only a fraction of a second! On second thought... maybe I'll bring extra shower items next time I'm in there in the mornings. We have so many bars of soap and toothpaste and extra toilitries in the Chaplain's office from care package donations that I can't give it away fast enough. Sometimes we even have towels. So I think I see a ministry opportunity here for these guys. I can't speak their language -- so I don't know how to tell him that he smelled just as bad when he came out of the shower as he did when he went in -- but maybe I can give away some soap and shampoo? We'll see how it goes. Keep this one in prayer, too. See ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment