Friday, January 15, 2010

Shower Ministry Update




Sat 16 Jan

Well, let me tell you what happened yesterday with my new "shower ministry." I decided to act on it and went and bought two plastic tupperware containers at the PX. Cost me $4 each. I then filled each one with shampoos, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and even a few washcloths that we had in the office. I put a sign on each saying "FREE--take what you need". Then I put each container in a different shower location near my office. I was feeling real proud of myself and then went for a run with my PT buddy. Two hours later I went into the very same shower stall area and was excited to see if anyone had used the stuff. Unfortunately, the entire container was gone. I should have known, but within two hours someone stole the whole thing! I suppose they really needed it. The container in the other location was still there, and there was evidence that people had taken items out of the box. Anyway, I decided not to be mad or disappointed. I will try again. My running partner said he liked the whole idea and volunteered to buy another container. I may talk to the company that runs/cleans the shower areas to see if there is any way we can secure a container to the wall or something like that! Make it a permanent fixture. We'll see.

As for the pictures: I took a picture of the air traffic control tower here because a few people told me recently that this 6-story building is the tallest in all of Afghanistan! There are radio towers and antennas that may be taller, but this is the tallest building in the entire country! Wow. The second picture is of a real Russian junkyard filled with stuff the Russians left behind when they left this country in 1989. But you don't dare go in there -- notice the red sign. It says "MINES". There are many areas around this base where the Russians planted land mines to keep the locals out. Many of those fields are still here. So this stuff sits there and rusts. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment