Monday, January 25, 2010

Lost Luggage




Tues. 26 Jan

I forgot to tell you my lost luggage story from the past weekend. We traveled from the French FOB back to my base, and there were several stops along the way -- in the dark. At one point, a whole bunch of people got up and off this very large Chinook helicopter (like the one in the picture). They're pretty big, and they can hold a lot of people with a lot of gear. And apparently someone accidentally threw my duffel bag out the back door of the "bird" and out into the dark when it landed somewhere. They actually went back and looked for me, but never found it. My bag has my name on it, a lock, and a large white cross painted on it as well. It will be pretty obvious to soemone that it isn't his -- and that he should not steal from a Chaplain! I have been back to the terminal every morning since, but no one had called it in or returned it. I may have lost my sleeping bag and some clothing in there. Oh well. Nothing that can't be replaced. But at least in the civilian world the airlines will make every effort to find your lost luggage and return it to you, or pay you for the contents. Not here. I'm not sure anybody cares about my lost luggage but me, and there is no lost luggage claim form to fill out to get reimbursed. I may be out of luck. (The picture, by the way, was a real photo of a pin-point landing by a Chinook helicopter in Afghanistan a number of years ago. They were on a surprise mission to round up bad guys. Pretty cool, huh?)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Darren, if it makes you feel any better you can submit a claim form to me and after weeks of not hearing anything I will inform you that the form has been lost and you need to resubmit :)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete