Saturday, January 30, 2010

Where is God in Afghanistan?




Sun. 31 Jan
I used one of Rob Bell's NOOMA videos last night in my Bible study, and in this one (#3, Trees) he makes the statement, "We live in a world drenched with God." I agree with him. I can look out at these rugged mountains every morning and see God's fingerprints all over this land. The Apostle Paul writes about this in Romans 1:20 -- that we can see God through His creation, and therefore have no excuse. If you open your eyes to God, you will see Him all around you; in the land, the sunset, a rainbow, and even in the people. That's what I challenged my class with last night. Jesus told us in John 13 that the world will know you are His disciple if we love one another, and the examples of the Good Samaritan and James 2:14-17 (faith without works is dead) are proof of God's desire for us. Not only can we see God "drenched" in the world around us, but the world should also see God in and through us! So God is definitely here in Afghanistan, as He can be seen through the life and love of his disciples in the American military. The same is true for you, no matter where you live and work. Are we/you showing God's love to others? Are you loving the unlovable around you? Keep in mind, those who do not know Jesus are watching you. Like the truckload of men in front of me the other day. They see the cross on my uniform and they stare at me.

Who is watching you?

By the way, we located my duffel bag. It was found at one of the FOBs and taken to the Chaplain's office there. Some of our Soldiers went and picked it up and are holding onto it for me. So now I have a good excuse to go visit that team in the near future and pick up my bag at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment