Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Shack




6 Jan 10
Here's me in my blue and gold sleeping cap. Some women from the midwest knitted hundreds of those and sent them over here. Our Soldiers grabbed them up fast. It's warm and comfy, no matter how silly I look!

I returned from a quick trip to visit a Soldier this afternoon, and still feel airsick from the return flight. Many of the contract pilots here (such as the guys who work for Blackwater) are all former military, and they like to do what is called a "combat approach" or "combat landing" (depending on who you talk to). Forget about the slow, easy descent into the airport, all nicely lined up straight. Nope. They either drop out of the sky at a crazy speed right on top of the runway, or they circle it a few times and land from an angle while skimming the tree trops like a crop duster. Of course I'm exaggerating, but not much. Our pilot today did the latter, and it affected me. Have you ever been airsick, or motion sick? That cold and clammy feeling that comes over you, and sweat starts beeding up on your forehead. Yeah, I can relate. (I need to lay down!)

Ok, but now the really interesting thing I wanted to share today. As I have stated before, I am aware that God is speaking to me through books recently, and He's doing something in my life to prepare me for what lies ahead. I don't know how to explain that, but I can feel it. I have found myself on this reading kick, and I've gone through about 5 books already since being here (over 2 months now). In the past two weeks I have had three people tell me I need to read the book, The Shack. My response has been the same: No thanks. You see, I started it about a year ago when my mom gave it to me, but I could not finish it due to the sensitive nature of the storyline and having a 7-yr old daughter of my own (a 7-yr old daughter dies in the book). So I initially put it down and decided to move on. But recently it has been coming back to me, and the theme of walking with God and being on a spiritual journey has been prevalent with me.

So there I was yesterday, sitting in the airport terminal over here, waiting for my flight (and reading a different book), when this total stranger -- and I mean complete stranger -- sits down next to me and asks me if I have read The Shack? Out of the blue! He tells me he just finished it and loved it. (He was the third person of the three I mentioned above). I was a little bit creeped-out by this, and kept wondering what's going on? I believe God can orchestrate weird things in our lives, sometimes to get our attention, like a visit from a stranger (an angel perhaps? Could be). So then we land at the other FOB and I go to check in with the Chaplain's office there and low and behold, guess what book he had on his shelf? You got it... The Shack. And he gave it to me right then and there. He did not care for it, and wanted to get rid of it. (I've aready started reading it again).

Now, I'm not sure if you believe in God, or that God can speak to us through other people and events, or even books, but I do. And I'm listening. I don't really want to read through the pain of the first 70 pages of this book, but I'm going to push through it to see what God wants me to find in this story. So hang in there with me, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment