Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Day 3 (No Hair)




6 Jan 2009




My previous haircut was allegedly not short enough for the drill sergeant, so I went the bald route (as did many of us in the class). I shaved it myself, although that was quite an affair. It took longer than I ever imagined, but I made it through with only a few nicks and cuts. It feels weird... and cold! But I don't have to worry about the wind or rain messing up my hair anymore. I suppose misery loves company, because we all look like dorks now!

We finished up with the dental exams and a trip to the clothing store yesterday. The Army expects officers to purchase their own clothing and equipment, so this can run up quite a bill. For example, we are expected to purchase two pairs of regulation boots, each of which may cost about $100. That's just the boots, not to mention the socks, gloves, hats, ACUs (4 sets required), belts, duffel bag, exercise gear (shoes, socks, shorts, pants, jacket)... you get the picture. Needless to say, my dear sweet accountant wife is freaking out! (I love you, honey)


Anyway, so far so good. We seem to have a great group of men and women here, and a few with prior military experience. Several of our peers have been selected as our student leadership for the class, and every one of us will get opportunities for leadership roles of some kind or another. I'll let you know how that plays out soon. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment