Friday, January 30, 2009

The Soldier's Creed and the end of CIMT


30 Jan 09

Today was the last day of the first "block" of the Chaplain Course. It was called Chaplain Initial Military Trainint (CIMT), and was designed to expose Chaplains to Army protocol, drilling, marching, the uniform, map reading, and the other aspects of Army life designed to make us better Soldiers. [The word Soldier, by the way, is always capitalized out of respect]. I am glad it is over, since we now move on to Chaplain-specific training for the remainder of the course. We will still have PT every day however (and twice-a-day if the drill sergeant is grumpy), since they place a high value on their Chaplains being able to pass the required PT test (necessary to graduate from this course). It feels good to have CIMT behind me. I've enjoyed the training, but it was hard. More importantly, however, is knowing that I've been here 4 weeks now (which means only 8 more to go)! Every day completed is a day closer to going home.

We had a little "Beret Donning" ceremony this morning where we all removed our patrol caps (the one that looks like a baseball hat), and put on our berets. It was sort of symbolic of becomming a Soldier. Up until completion of CIMT, students are not allowed to wear the beret. So it's kind of a big deal now to now be able to wear the beret and look different from the basic traininee Soldiers running around here as well.

Finally, I want to share with you the "Soldier's Creed." We are all expected to memorize this and live it. It goes like this...

----------------------------
The Soldier's Creed:
I am an American Soldier.
I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and I live the Army Values.
I will always place the Mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.
-------------------------------
Amen to that. Hooah!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on this achievement and milestone! I can't believe I've been doing your job (or part of it) for a month now! Lena

    ReplyDelete