Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Gas Chamber







1-14-09

This was a horrible experience! Today was the day they marched us all through the gas chamber to familiarize us with the equipment and simulate what it might be like should an enemy attack with a chemical weapon. We had a class on Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear weapons, and the protecive gear that the military uses for its Soldiers. In a mock situation (and the quiz next week), I have to be able to put my mask on correctly in less than 9 seconds. As you can see from the pictures, we were like sheep led to the slaughter, and it was nasty.

The experience consisted of walking into a 20x20 room with numerous instructors all around. The gas was like thick smoke in the entire room, and immediately, if your mask was not properly fit or sealed, you were in pain. Eyes watered and your lungs burned. Then, each Chaplain was required to take his mask off and state your name, rank, and social security number, before putting it back on and re-sealing it to your face. I got through that OK, because I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Yet even then it hurt and burned your throat. But, just before you left, they required us to do it again and look at the instructor (who asked you questions). This time you could not minimize the pain, and it was unlike anything I have ever felt before. I did not take a good breath, and my eyes hurt immediately. I could not breathe and could not take in any more air. I thought I was going to die. Literally. It was the closest thing I have ever experienced to a panic attack because I could not breathe nor see, and they wanted me to stay in my place before releasing me to "walk" (not run) out the door. I might have passed out had they made me stay much longer. Ultimately, I made it through it, coughing, spitting, and hacking up a lung (as did everyone else) for the next 20 minutes. It was an awful experience, and I'm glad we only have to do it once.

As for the rest of the day, we had a mini PT test this morning, and I did pretty well. I will concentrate on my sit-ups, because I can easily pass the push-ups and the run portion. But at 0600 in 32 degree weather, we were all hurting! I could not feel my toes, several fingers, and parts of my face during the run. But all is good, the feeling returned during a quick shower before class. They are giving us about 30-40 minutes total for personal time in our rooms for breakfast and lunch. Factoring in a 10 minute walk to class, it makes for a quick shower, speedy breakfast, and fast change to get back in class on time. And they are sticklers for time around here! Gotta run. Talk to you more later....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Darren, that sounds awful. Glad you survived. Yikes.

    Thanks for your service and sacrifice!

    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darren, I thought of the holocaust while you were telling this story. As American's we are so blessed.

    I'll keep praying for you. Thank you for your commitment to our people and especially our God.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete