Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Legal and Ethical Day


27 Jan 09

Today we sat through about 6 hours of training from an officer from the JAG (Judge Advocate General) department. He was a young Captain (lawyer), who knew his stuff. No, he did not look like the studly actor who played the main role on the TV show, "JAG" a few years ago, but that's OK. He spoke to us about the Military Code of Justice, the Law of War (there actually is such as thing, including the Geneva Convention), and finally the Army's policy on Homosexuality in the Military. It is rumored that it will change, now that we have a new President. But that remains to be seen. It was interesting to note the discussion on how do we fight fairly against an enemy that does not? It is still the American policy to abide by the laws of War as established long ago.

We also had our first student-led "Field Service" today. We are all on a rotation to do this, but mine is not for another three weeks. Whew! A theme they are drilling in us is the role of the Chaplain to provide for the "free exercise of religion" for all Soldiers as provided by the 1st Ammendment of the Constitution. This does not mean that I have to lead a Jewish or Catholic or Mormon service, but it does mean I have to help them coordinate to get their religious needs met. This might be as simple as reserving a room for the Wicca group, or it might mean calling a Rabbi to come do a Jewish service once a month if possible. In one of our readings the author wrote, "Every human being has the Spark of God and the ability to give warmth and light to others." The Bible says that we are all "created in God's image," so I kind of like that quote.

But back to the Field Service... we have to wear all of our gear. They call this "full battle-rattle," and it's heavy. We also practice just off the parking lot in the tree line (as you can see in the picture). I am finding my own faith strengthened as I listen to and learn from other Chaplains (most of which are also Protestant, but not all). It is interesting to hear the often subtle -- but sometimes blatant -- differences in Theology in my colleagues. For instance, the Chaplain pictured above leading the first field service is from a denomination that believes Christ's body and blood are literally present in the communion bread and wine (or juice, in this case). I do not agree with that as a Southern Baptist, so I chose to not partake in the communion during his field service. The same Chaplain also made the comment about his ability to "absolve me of my sins" due to his position as an odrained minister in his denomination. Again, I do not believe the same things he does (including his ability to forgive my sins), but I have to support his right to have and practice his own faith. Personally, I believe the Lord's Supper is not literal but is "symbolic" of what Christ did on the Cross for you and me, and also I believe only God can forgive our sins (therefore, we need to confess them only to God). No human being has that power or ability, not even the Pope--although my Catholic friends might disagree. So I believe this is going to be a challenging training for me, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment